Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Big Blue's First Inspection!


A lot of perspective skoolie owners hire a mechanic to come with them to look at the bus they are interested in purchasing. This allows them to get a professional's input regarding the condition of the bus and use that to make a well informed decision regarding their purchase. This, however, is not something I decided to do. I got some advice from the skoolie community online about some major red flags to look out for and took care of it all myself. That being said, after geting Big Blue home, I knew there were probably at least a few mechanical issues with the bus, so I decided to have it inspected so I could start to prepare to take care of some repairs. I found a local bus repair shop (Western Mountain Bus & Auto Sales) and gave them a call. Cliff (Bus Sales) gave me the option of a basic one hour inspection for $90, or a slightly more in depth inspection at a higher price point. I opted for the basic inspection, as it would cover enough to get the ball rolling with bus repairs. I scheduled an appointment as soon as possible and dropped Big Blue off to be inspected. The guys at Western Mountain worked incredibly quickly and I was able to pick Big Blue up the next day. When I arrived, Cliff brought me out to the bus, gave me a short list of repairs to make, handed me the keys and sent me on my way- no charge at all! He said that the suggested repairs and maintenance were pretty minor (new tires, oil change, and fixing the rear axle seal) and that there was no real rush on getting them done but that it was more so just things to start thinking about as they would eventually need to be taken care of. It was incredibly reassuring to hear from some bus professionals that I didn't make a horrible mistake in purchasing my bus.
New tires is the next step on the road to making this bus a home.





No comments:

Post a Comment